Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


This is my uncle, John Dewey Phenix. He served in WWI. The oldest of my mother's brothers, Uncle Dewey as he was called graduated from Texas University as an Actuary. In this line of work, he helped formulate today's Social Security System, developed in the Roosevelt administration during 1934-35. Uncle Dewey and his family (wife, Lila Mae; daughter, Betty Ann; son, Jimmy) always lived in Maryland. He passed away at the age of 97, on February 7, 1992. My mother passed away the following day, February 8, 1992 without knowing of her brother's death.

I had 5 uncles serving in WWII from my father's side of the family. Some of them served in the shipyards of New Jersey and some were overseas. One uncle brought home German shotguns and rifles. I've often wondered what my grandmother was going through with 5 of her 9 sons in the service/war at the same time. Of course, without TV and instant news via the internet, etc. you only knew what was going on some time after it all happened. I'm hoping that letters were written and saved by their children and grandchildren.

My husband served 4 years in the US Army during peacetime. My brother-in-law was in the US Air Force during this time as well. My son became of age after the draft had been eliminated. I have seen a very distinct difference in the character developed serving in the military compared to so many of our young people who have never been that route. This may not always have been the case, but respect for authority and honor of God and country are values which cannot be hidden.

All of my aunts and uncles as well as grandparents on both sides of my family are gone now. We only have memories and photos. Let's take time today to remember the sacrifices so many have made for our freedom. This freedom is given by our Heavenly Father. He has given us (the USA) the victory for over 250 years. All honor and glory belong to the triune God.

No comments:

Post a Comment